Dec 30, 2021
We’re on a mission to add LIFE to the dad life. We’re passionate
about helping dads live fully alive as they lead their kids to
God’s awesomeness. | YouTube | Instagram | Facebook | Twitter
Matt grew up as a wild middle child in rural IL and now lives in
AZ with his wife Jen and 4 kids. For over ten years Matt has been a
pastor in TX & IL & AZ. He’s a spiritual director, pastor,
and retreat guide that works with multiple non-profits in the areas
of leadership development and spiritual formation.
- LIVE WITH RHYTHM. LEAVE A LEGACY. FINISH WELL. https://harborministries.com/
- Episode 81 |
Adjust the Pace, Live with SELF-CONTROL & Hear God’s Voice (Tim
- 3:57 - Matthew, 11, Jesus's invitation in Matthew, 11:28-30
“Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get
away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to
take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it.
Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or
ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live
freely and lightly.”
- 6:00 - "I've been in a radical pursuit of trying to figure out
how do I learn not only how do I learn these unforced rhythms, but
how do I demonstrate in a way to others that makes them feel like,
oh, I could enter into that rhythm of life too"
- 6:49 - "learn to live or to live freely and lightly or, as most
translations say. Take my yoke upon you, you know, because I am
gentle and humble in heart. So that's where Eugene Peterson, when
he translates the message that we're gentle, unforced, right,
- book mentioned:
Gentle and Lowly: The Heart of Christ for
Sinners and Sufferers by Dane C. Ortlund
- 9:00 - "What's God's heart gentle and lowly, humble... And to
be a parent like that to enter into a relationship, whatever stage?
Or I mean, even if you have a grown kids to constantly be in a
posture of gentleness towards them. It doesn't have to go my
- 9:36 - "Maybe God is the primary agent of my kids spiritual
formation, not me. And so it's my job to ask good questions and
listen and be patient along the journey"
- 10:22 - speedboat versus sailboat
- 11:48 - "I love that illustration when it comes to life in
rhythm with Jesus is, are we developing a motor boat mentality? By
the way, we're living, are we in control or we telling God what
direction we want to go and how fast we want to go? You know,
specifically with our marriages and with our kids, are we the ones
telling God, I want you to do this in my kids life and I want you?
I want him to look like this or her to look like that? Or are we
hoisting up our sails every day and saying, God, however you want
to blow into my sails, however you want to blow into their sails
helped me to be a good, like, non anxious cooperative friend"
- 13:48 - "in small ways and big ways, we can hoist up our sales
daily and trust that the wind of God, the spirit of God, is going
to blow into our sales and move us in the direction at the pace
that he is setting, which is so un-American."
- 17:16 - Parker Palmer Clearness Committee - short
- 17:24 - "We gathered some friends. So remember there was a
handful of friends that didn't have any emotional attachment to our
decision. So that's key. Yeah, is find people that just are working
for your good and for discernment"
- 22:01 - "I'm a huge believer in that. Jesus meets everybody in
the gospels where they're at and invites them to take the next step
from where they're at..."
- 25:39 - Lazy Dad Games
- 26:06 - "We learned early on that when we prepare for the
morning, the next day, we're teaching our kids how to set
intentional things out for the next day. So the next morning is an
anxious and hurried right."
- 26:42 -
Imaginative Prayer: A Yearlong Guide for Your
Child's Spiritual Formation ( Jared Patrick Boyd )
- 27:50 - Winnie the Poo -- "Sometimes the smallest things take
up the most room in your heart"
- S2 Episode 5 | Gospel Clarity on Parenting -- Life in Rhythm
- 29:02 - "we put these heavy. Things on ourselves that God is
not laying on us at all. And we put pressure where there doesn't
need to be pressure, we put obligations on it. And honestly, it
turns into a pride thing. Not a humble thing"
- 30:22 - "Proverbs 4:23 that out of the overflow of the heart
like, comes everything. So guard your heart above all else for from
it flows springs of living order."
- 30:55 - "if you want your kids to overflow with life, you've
got to be connected to living water and you are parched. And it
really is nobody else's responsibility. But yours to say no to a
lot of good things..."
- 31:30 - "it's going to take intentionality and it's going to
take you guarding your heart above all else. For from it flows
living water. And this is meant to be an overflow journey, not one
of scarcity, but one where you are being filled up daily to be
poured out like a reservoir to fill your kids up and your wife and
you can do it. And it's an invitation piece. It's not... God's not
going to ever make you do this. You've got to take him up on his