Aug 11, 2019
Sam Collier is a speaker and host at Northpoint Ministries
(founded by Andy Stanley) as well as the Director of City Strategy
for The reThink Group (founded by Reggie Joiner). Sam is also the
host of nationally syndicated radio-podcasts “A Greater Story w/
Sam Collier” and “The Countdown w/ Sam Collier”. Sam lives in
Atlanta, GA with his beautiful wife and daughter!
- 2:12 - Introducing Sam Collier
- 5:23 - Sam's family and summer of his current roles and
- 8:35 - "Sometimes a story can do more for our development and
direction than principles."
- 10:23 - Sam's backstory and the influence of his father
- 15:40 - Sam shares what is going well in his dad role
- 17:12 - God's call as a step-dad (Bonus Dad) to honor his
daughter's biological father
- 19:00 - Supporting mom in the discipline acts of parenting
- 21:40 - Unlocking wonder in our kids
- 23:30 - The importance of intentionality in parenting
- 25:08 - With intentionality, something is better than nothing.
But if you want to get to that next level, you need to plan.
- 27:35 - Sam on influence in the dad-life
- 28:03 - "You are being influenced by something whether you like
it or not… Something is influencing you, so you might as well get
intentional about it."
- 28:51 - Introducing 3 key areas of influence
- Influence of Friends
- 29:05 - "Our desire to fit in often outweighs our desire to
stand out. Therefore, we become what our friend group
- 30:05 - "God created you for acceptance and community… you will
always choose acceptance over being great… let's stop trying to
change that principal.. embrace it and rearrange our lives to fit
- 30:27 - "Who are you hanging around? Every great dad that I
have met hangs around great dads."
- Influence of Leaders
- 31:40 - "Not every mentor is supposed to mentor me in
- 32:25 - "You want to control that circle. Hang around great
dads as peers because they will rub off on you. Get some older
dads… to be your leaders to help mentor you, so you can be
everything God has called you to be."
- Influence of Followers
- 32:45 - "Followers are the mirror into our souls and into our
gifts. They help reflect back on us what God has put in us."
- 33:12 - Ask your followers and fans what they love about you
and then turn that dial up
- 33:40 - Ask others what our blind-spots are, and use it to
examine our parenting
- 35:27 - Current culture is beginning to realize the importance
of parenting too
- 36:52 - "Only you can raise your kid."
- 39:23 - "I want to raise the bar and punctuate the idea that
parenting and fatherhood is the most important thing you'll do
outside of serving God."
- 39:51 - Sam's closing prayer