Feb 24, 2022
And you could do that as an awesome dad to just hover. I think
that's the first thing God did over the Earth. He just hovered.
Hover over each person your family like, what is kid number one
need that I could only uniquely provide them. Because if they need
a ride, they could get Uber to provide. They'd give em a ride. But
just say, is there something else they uniquely need that only I
could provide and then hover over your spouse and hover over a
couple of friends for a moment? And did you say, like, what are
they uniquely need that only I could provide.
We’re on a mission to add LIFE to the dad life. We’re passionate
about helping dads live fully alive as they lead their kids to
God’s awesomeness. | YouTube | Instagram | Facebook
Bob spent decades as an attorney, trying to figure out how to
live a whimsical, impactful life. These days, he calls himself a
"recovering lawyer" because after practicing law for 25 years, then
becoming the Honorary Consul to Uganda, he gave up his law firm to
pursue writing and speaking full time. He's a New York Times
bestselling author several times over, runs a popular weekly
podcast, and recently turned farmer at The Oaks just outside San
- Focusing on the context of the moments and seasons with our
families helps focus on what is important.
- 3:45 - It's just like, give context, you're only here,
so wanting to be these memories that they're going to drop into a
relatively small box of mental pictures they'll have of, of what it
felt like to be raised in your family. And so super intentional
about that, but curious and always looking for
- 4:55 - Having ideas to surprise his kids - keeping things
- 8:00 - Living a "no capes" kind of life.
- 7:50 - So there's some rationale behind living a "no
capes" kind of life to not make a big deal about it. If faith is
important to somebody listening, then Jesus talked about that. And
you know, if you stand on the street corner, make a big deal about
it. Yeah, then you get a little golf clap here. But if you just
don't, dude go live a no capes kind of life, then you get to talk
to Jesus about it forever, which is really a problem for a guy like
me who writes books and speaks because I talk about everything,
right? And it's not because I'm trying to make people think I'm
swell, I just am talking about the thing of the day. And but I
realize in doing that, Jesus's words like, you've had your reward.
And so I would do a couple of capers that you haven't told anybody
about. Just do it because it'd be awesome.
- 9:37 - Fainting goats and Sweet Maria
- 10:20 - Jeff Zaugg - Adding a "label that adds life" over our
kids and spouses
- 10:40 - What if we had nicknames for the people we loved?
- 12:56 - "And you could do that as an awesome dad to
just hover. I think that's the first thing God did over the Earth.
He just hovered. Hover over each person your family like, what is
kid number one need that I could only uniquely provide them.
Because if they need a ride, they could get Uber to provide. They'd
give em a ride. But just say, is there something else they uniquely
need that only I could provide and then hover over your spouse and
hover over a couple of friends for a moment? And did you say, like,
what are they uniquely need that only I could
- 14:44 - How Bob managed to stay connected to his daughter
attending college in Seattle.
- 16:43 - Four-part framework for intentional fatherhood
-- Sign up at: https://dadawesome.org/life/
- 17:52 - The story of the
Wake Up Fairy from Love Does for Kids
- 18:47 - Jeff asks Bob to be the "Wake Up Fairy" for dads
- 19:19 - A challenge to dads: "Quit your job.
Like, literally that's it. I would say nine out of 10 of the people
I know, male and female, are in jobs that were great on the day
they got them, but they've changed. New Day, New You. And still,
there you've changed. And the job didn't. And so I would just say
- 21:32 - Story of a pediatric brain surgeon who quit his job.
"No, he actually really loves what he does. He just
needed to reconnect with his family. And when he got that right,
then everything sort of fallen into place."
- 22:24 - Sometimes we wait for, you know, just all the right
things to line up before we make a move. What about make the move
and then say, OK, so this is a fixed point. What needs to change
and you're going to figure it out. All the things that made you
successful in the previous job will make you successful.
- 22:59 - "That was a stupid economic move, but it was an awesome
new creation move, and I think that's where we want to do. Start
making some really neat new creation moves... to actually live in
it... why not actually live like see yourself in the mirror is
like, what is Bob possible?
- 25:09 - "Constantly saying; "what's possible", not what's
familiar, but sometimes the familiar will get in the way of what's
- 28:02 - Bob's stories about what he is learning from his time
at San Quentin State Prison
- 32:19 - "There's something really beautiful. I think we can do
that as you continue with this work, you're doing with DadAWESOME
that everybody gets fed. Somehow they get what they need, but you
got to know what you want and you got to overcome what's just
merely available and say, get your head on a swivel and say, What's
actually what could I do to influence what I want?"
- 33:27 - Bob's prayer
- The Intentional