Mar 24, 2019
Jake Sullivan joins us for part 4 of Screens, Smartphones &
Social Media. This conversation dives into his family journey of
adopting three kids from Ghana, Africa and the beauty found in
trusting God's goodness. We discuss the challenges in communication
skills that our kids are facing along with the power of living life
along side our children.
- International adoption from Ghana, Africa
- Acts 1:8
- “I want my son to know who he is and where he is from”
- "Often we don’t get to see the blessings and the faithfulness
of God until after our obedience”
- Love is displayed through truth. God loved through truth. Let’s
love our kids and let’s speak truth to our kids.
- A good coach will see your weaknesses and they’ll walk along
side you and help you grow.
- Walk with your kids more intentionally in the areas of sex and
God’s plan for sex
- Book: Rethinking
- We are teaching and living life with our kids - bring your kids
everywhere with you
- Deuteronomy 6:6-8 "These commandments that I give you today are
to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about
them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when
you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands
and bind them on your foreheads.”
- Intentionally live life together. Don’t separate your home life
and your work life.
- God’s Goodness. God is good on the mountain top and He is good
in the valley.
- God is the lifter when your head is weary. He makes me
- I don’t want to come across as a legalistic dad taking things
- Authenticity & Vulnerability through screens, smartphones and
- The God of our universe sees and He knows who you are
- Do you trust God? That He will bring the darkness to the
- We have a faithful God that wants to see us know him
- Do I trust the Lord? That the Lord has my kids best interest in
- Communication - our kids are having a more difficult time
- The ability to communicate is something that screens are taking
away from the next generation.
- Knowing Gods goodness in the valley and on the mountain.
- I want my kids to see me go through a valley and never turn
from Gods goodness
- Walk life with your children
- Don’t let your children's sin feel like a reflection of you as
- Walk with them and love them and don’t try to hide your kids
Powerful story about the Sullivan Family featured in the Star