Dec 23, 2021
We’re on a mission to add LIFE to the dad life. We’re passionate
about helping dads live fully alive as they lead their kids to
God’s awesomeness. | YouTube | Instagram | Facebook
- 1:35 - "Part of the dad life is you have expectations and you
think it's going to be like this and it's like that. And that is
the story of Christmas, and that is the story of Joseph. So Jesus
earthly father Joseph, he experienced disappointment beyond what we
could ever imagine. I wanted to just I wanted to riff on the story
of Joseph for just a few minutes"
- 2:44 - "I want to grow in these areas and be more like Joseph,
the father of Jesus. So here's these three fatherhood insights from
the life of Joseph"
- 2:55 - Matthew 1:19 "Mary was pledged to be married to Joseph,
but before they came together, she was found to be pregnant through
the Holy Spirit. 19Because Joseph her husband was faithful to the
law, and yet did not want to expose her to public disgrace, he had
in mind to divorce her quietly."
- 4:35 - So he did not react in the moment. He
paused. That's the first fatherhood principle. He paused.
- 4:53 - "I have a I have a problem with pausing. Often I react
my. My first reaction, guys, is to react in a reactive fatherhood,
reactive. In my marriage, being a husband who is reactive in the
moment responds with emotion and frustration causes so many
problems. And if Joseph could in this kind of setting, if Joseph
- 5:37 - Story - hiking Sabino Canyon in Tucson, AZ
- 9:20 - Matthew 1:20 "But after he had considered this, an angel
of the Lord appeared to him in a dream"
- 9:42 - He went beyond the pause to a consideration he
considered he. He pondered he he thought about what's the
right course of action forward"
- 10:57 - Matthew 1:24 "When Joseph woke up, he did what the
angel of the Lord had commanded him and took Mary home as his wife"
-- Guys, I think the consideration in the pause are the set up for
God revealing direction for us in our fatherhood. That's what
happened with Joseph. His pause in his consideration led to the
Lord appearing to him in a dream. An angel appeared to him in a
dream and gave him clarity, gave him insight that took the
devastation and put it back to a place of hope and of I'm a part of
a bigger miracle.
- 12:05 - "What starts is devastation. The woman I'm engaged to,
this is Joseph thinking. The woman I'm engaged to, has betrayed my
confidence, has broken this pledge has has become pregnant from
another man. Instead of that, she. Instead, the pause in the
consideration led to Joseph realizing he's right at the center of a
- 13:56 - We need these three things these fatherhood principles
the pause, the consideration, and we need guidance. We need
to follow that guidance, not follow our own
insights and strategies, especially when devastation. Don't trust
your own. I don't want to trust my own insights and guidance when
when it when it when loss or a change of plans caused me to be
emotionally reactive. I want to pause. I want to consider and I
want to follow God's will lead God's guidance."
- 14:35 - Joseph had three other miraculous dreams.
- 15:01 - Joseph actually has a pattern of multiple times hearing
angelic, miraculous guidance in his dreams, and I believe it's from
a posture of his heart was at a place where he had calmness in the
place of devastation. And it's from pausing and considering and
following the voice of our heavenly father.
- 15:24 - God trusted Joseph with his son, Jesus, and got his
trust in each of us with these precious kids in my prayer for
- 16:13 - Jeff's Closing Prayer