Feb 25, 2021
We’re on a mission to add LIFE to the dad life. We’re passionate
about helping dads live fully alive as they lead their kids to
God’s awesomeness. | YouTube | Instagram | Facebook | Twitter
Derek Johnson is a singer-songwriter who has a heart to see
people experience the power and extravagant love of God through
music that carries God’s presence and anointing. He led worship at
Bethel Church in Redding, CA for 5 years before relocating to the
Sacramento area with the Jesus Culture team. He believes strongly
in serving the local church and is a Jesus Culture Music artist and
worship leader at Jesus Culture Sacramento. His heart is to see
people transformed by encounters with Jesus who then transform the
culture they live in. Derek is a relevant voice to this generation
with a strong anointing for bringing intimacy and the joy of the
Lord through praise and worship.
- 4:40 - "It's been a continuous journey that I've found with my
daughter and now with my son is when you have children, I think
more than even in marriage, you start to understand what love
actually is and what love looks like, and kind of that
responsibility in that way, that hits you."
- 14:09 - Books by John Eldredge - Wild and Heart and Fathered by God
- 14:23 - Takeaways from the book Fathered by God: "One, we
need to be really intentional in the way that we father our kids,
that really it is going to have to happen on purpose. To get in
there and have the conversations and have the heart connection,
realizing that our kids don't know how to do it."
- 15:19 - Creating "heartstrings" with our kids - where they open
their hearts to us and we open our hearts to them.
- 15:45 - It's important to have grace for ourselves.
- 17:45 - The Voice of the
Heart book by Chip Dodd
- 17:50 - "What I loved about Fathered by God was actually
just the permission to recognize the gaps, to feel the pain of the
- 18:36 - Takeaways from the book The Voice of the Heart by Chip Dodd -
"The cool thing that this book highlights is that your anger is
connected to passion. So somewhere in there, if you filter that
pain and that anger correctly, what you'll find is something you're
actually deeply passionate about."
- 19:30 - "So these books are super instrumental and I think
connecting that, God created us with emotions. They are there for a
reason. They do need to be managed and certainly they need to be
touched by the Holy spirit so areas can heal. But they're supposed
to be in there."
- 20:00 - "And I think if, for us, as men, for us as fathers, if
we have a vision - and we should have this vision - to have kids
who are emotionally healthy and capable in their friendships and
their marriages and their careers, then we have to begin by doing
the inner work ourselves. And just being that example."
- 23:55 - Sharing the difficult journey of conceiving a second
- 31:55 - On living out Christian values with our kids: "I don't
even want to list it out on a list and so that they can memorize
it. I'm like, I want to live it so that you can catch it."